2020 Goals and Initiatives
Water Quantity Goals:
1. Purchase and remove flood-prone homes in the Sunnybrook Lake neighborhood. Investigate programs and grants to reduce the cost to VBWD taxpayers. Pump water, as needed, in partnership with Indian Hills Golf Club to reduce the risk of flooding of other homes and infrastructure in the neighborhood.
2. Continue watershed modeling, which will provide the ability to simulate the water flow associated with potential development projects to aid our permit program, identify vulnerabilities to existing structures, and understand potential modifications to the operation plans of lake outlets.
Water Quality Goals:
1. Work with lake associations to support their aquatic invasive species management programs.
2. Continue our Best Management Practices (BMP) Cost Share Grant Program.
3. Substantially complete the Valley Creek Ravine 2E stabilization project, utilizing the VBWD awarded Clean Water Fund Grant.
4. Sell credits and continue reporting and maintenance requirements for the Wildflower Shores wetland bank.
5. Follow State of Minnesota activities regarding its settlement with 3M related to natural resource damages caused by PFAS contamination.
6. Access progress with the Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategies plan.
1. Continue basin and stream water quality monitoring and reporting programs, including the continuous monitoring stations at Kelle’s Creek, Valley Creek, and the outlet of Rest Area Pond, and conduct fish survey at Valley Creek.
2. Continue basin and groundwater level monitoring and reporting programs.
Inspection and Maintenance Goals:
1. Continue infrastructure, conveyance systems, and dam inspections, operations, reporting, and maintenance programs, including completing the high priority maintenance items.
2. Respond to VBWD infrastructure location requests from the Gopher State One Call Program.
1. Continue to promote communication and collaboration with our residents, communities, and pertinent governmental units to achieve our Vision, including meeting with communities to review our efforts and asking how to best collaborate in the future.
2. Continue current and explore new education activities, including sponsoring East Metro Water Resources Program (EMWREP), funding the Stillwater Area High School students’ macroinvertebrate monitoring of Valley Creek, and providing and/or funding opportunities for the VBWD Citizen Advisory Committee members and Managers.
3. Continue to keep the VBWD website current and add functionality to more efficiently store and access information related to the VBWD permit program.
Regulatory Program Goals:
1. Continue our permit program.
2. Update our Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit.
Administrative and Other Goals:
1. Plan to hold a watershed tour for the Managers.
2. Stay abreast of grant opportunities, identify applicable grants for VBWD programs and projects, and pursue grants when appropriate.